You can get in touch with me via the Contact page regarding potential commissions and for other inquiries. I’ll always try to get back to you within 24-48 hours.
When contacting me about a commission, it’s helpful to me if you can provide the following:
- A sketch/drawing of your world, even if its very rough.
- As much information about your world as possible. Place names, distances, climate etc.
- The desired style/feel for the map. This could be just an overall “feel” for your map/world, or something as specific as colours, textures or additional features.
- Your budget and deadline.
Price & Payment
Quotes are based on the time and effort needed to produce the map to your specification. The main factors that determine the cost of producing a map are style, detail and decoration.
Style: Will the map be classic black & white, antique-looking or realistic?
Detail: How many labels do you need on the map? How many countries/cities? How expansive and varied are your geographic features?
Decoration: Compass roses, scales, borders and legends/keys all come under this heading.
I require a 40% advance payment from you before undertaking any work. I currently only accept payment via PayPal (email@example.com). I will draw you up an invoice which will be paid in two instalments (40% initial deposit / 60% remaining payment).
For large projects with multiple maps, I will usually be able to offer you a discounted quote for a bulk order commission.
It is helpful for me to know as early as possible whether you are planning a large map project, so that I can align styles and ensure I retain all working files to your original map. I will typically keep a backup of your map’s working files for 3 months following completion of your map.
Image Rights & Licenses
I (as the artist) retain full reproduction rights to the finished map. You own rights to the subject matter contained within. This means that if you are planning to use the map commercially (i.e. inside a published book or RPG) I must sell you a commercial license to the work.
Please Note: My standard quotes always include a commercial license.
Terms & Conditions
- You should be available for regular contact via email. If I am unable to contact you at any point for 7 consecutive days, I may be forced to put your map on hold or cancel (with notice).
- I require a 40% advance payment for all commissions. This is non-refundable unless I am unable to complete your project for any reason on my part.
- Any major changes to the original commission after the initial design stage may result in additional costs.
- The final map will be delivered digitally by email (or via download link) in a flattened format (JPG, PNG, no layers). Unfortunately I cannot provide the working file with layers intact.
- Both parties have the right to display the artwork publicly. If I wish to use your work for anything other than my portfolio, I will always check with you first.
- You have the right to modify, edit, or reuse the artwork in part or whole, provided it is not for commercial use (unless we negotiate commercial rights to the map). All I ask is that you credit me as the original artist (James Hunter-Shortland).
- Both parties reserve the right to cancel the commission at any point. If you decide to cancel, any payments already made for work done (complete or incomplete) will not be refunded.